Tuesday, September 9, 2014

DINNER ( UPDATED )


 TWO days later!
Gosh, I really was sleepy -
No, just had a busy day yesterday, I guess...or maybe nothing at all happened - we had the soup again,
so yall missed nothing on dinner, for those that are keeping a count.

I dont know why, since I have been cooking a lot lately, but if felt like I had not made a nice sit down supper for just us in a while. Saw this on TV Saturday, on a show that I really do not watch, and really like it.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil


2 sweet or spicy turkey sausage links, casings removed


1 cup pearled barley


8 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth


2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds


2 medium parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds


2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into1/2-inch slices


1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced


1 medium leek, thinly sliced


One 12-ounce bunch Swiss or Rainbow chard, center stem removed and leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces


1 Parmesan cheese rind, optional
1 dried bay leaf


2 teaspoons kosher salt


3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


1/4 cup chopped chives




In a 5-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon into small pieces, until brown, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cooked sausage and reserve.

Add the barley and cook stirring constantly until lightly toasted, about 4 minutes. Add the broth, carrots, parsnips, zucchini, fennel, leeks, chard, cheese rind if using, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the barley is tender, about 35 minutes.

Remove the Parmesan rind and bay leaf, and discard. Season the soup with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the cooked sausage and chopped chives.
This is a really good hearty Fall soup - you all need to make it, but truth be told, I made it because for once I had a pricy Parm rind in my fridge. 
It is a totally different flavor profile for me, there is not one " regular " onion in here - a real stretch for me, cause if it is not sweet, it starts out with some slow cooked onions. You could easily leave the sausage out all together - next time I make this , I will - or you could just use a lot more, leave it in the casing and just cut it in rings - making Sausage-Barley Tuscan Soup
I have no idea why she did not use the chard stems - they taste great and add this rich red color. If you watch the video you will see that she says to start the parsnips and carrots off in the sausage fat first - just add the stems as well...

Again, next time, I will leave the vet much chunkier - just make it a real veggie stew

I served it with a zucchini cake, that was no where near as good as the soup.
They look nice and the taste was there, but the texture was way off.
and sort of a Caprese Salad


No comments: