Thursday, January 15, 2015

OSCAR! OSCAR! OSCAR! ( oi, oi, oi )



A very rare happening this morning. Koda woke me up around 6:30 to go out, as a rule he sleeps later than I do, and we did make our nightly tour of Mendon. But, a dogs got to do what a dogs got to do, so out we went. Back in the house by 7, I figured I would just stay up for the Oscar announcement at 8 - turns out it was 8:30- but there I was. 
It's always so low key at 5:00 am on the west coast, with wall to wall coverage on the East coast from all the Todays and GMAs. So, here we go, Oscar 2015, and my take on them. Red means it is a movie that we have seen. Bold is who I want to win



Best Picture
“American Sniper”
“Birdman”

“Boyhood”
“The Grand Budapest Hotel”
“The Imitation Game”
“Selma”
“The Theory of Everything”

“Whiplash”



Luckily the Academy went from 5 to as many as they damn well please in this category, or there would have been even more uproar today. I think , post Golden Globes, that this could be BOYHOOD's year, and I did like the film, but with out the gimic of taking 12 years to film it is , at best, a Lifetime movie on steroids. 
I was not a huge fan of The Grand Budapest Hotel either, and am a fan of Wes Anderson - I thought that Moonlight Kingdom was just a better film, and that his kooky tweeness can be at times grating.

So two left to see to make up my mind, I think we are going to see American Sniper tomorrow, which is a movie that I never would have gone to if it were not for all these nominations. To much war, but if you are going to see them all , and its not a Quentin Tarantino film, then I will see it. I think that Whiplash has already come and gone from our area - but it should be rereleased now.

Leaving me really torn.  Birdman, The Imitation Game, Selma and The Theory of Everything, all movies that I really liked for different reasons. I do think in the end that I am going to pull for BIRDMAN, just because it was so new and I think I enjoyed it the most out of the four. I mean the two THE's are close to being the same move, and Selma , as powerful as the story is, was a very flawed film.

Best Director
Alejandro González Iñárritu, “Birdman”
Richard Linklater, “Boyhood”
Bennett Miller, “Foxcatcher”
Wes Anderson, “The Grand Budapest Hotel”
Morten Tyldum, “The Imitation Game”

This is as close to a lock as anything can be, I think. I mean, 12 years if not more of the guys life on one project. Start writing  your speech. To address a little of the hoopla from today, all guys again in this category, when the word on the street was this was going to be the year that two women were here.  Having not seen Unbroken , the Angelina Jolie movie but have seen Selma, I can tell you that one of those women did not deserve to be in this list. The director was what was wrong with Selma.

Best Actor
Steve Carell, “Foxcatcher”
Bradley Cooper, “American Sniper”
Benedict Cumberbatch, “The Imitation Game”
Michael Keaton, “Birdman”
Eddie Redmayne, “The Theory of Everything”

Some folks think that Cumberatch and Redmayne, both playing British geniuses with issues will split the vote leaving it to Keaton, an American actor with issues for the win, I don't. I think this one is almost as close a lock as the best director. Hollywood loves a good physical acting job, and Redmayne was amazing as Stephen Hawking.( this is Bradley Cooper's third consecutive time being nominated )


Best Actress
Marion Cotillard, “Two Days, One Night”
Felicity Jones, “The Theory of Everything”
Julianne Moore, “Still Alice”
Rosamund Pike, “Gone Girl”
Reese Witherspoon, “Wild”

We  have some work to do here seeing these movies,  but from everything I have read this is Julianne Moore's year. ( again, they love a good illness )

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Duvall, “The Judge”
Ethan Hawke, “Boyhood”
Edward Norton, “Birdman”
Mark Ruffalo, “Foxcatcher”

J.K. Simmons, “Whiplash”

From what I have seen I hope it would be Edward Norton but Mark Ruffalo was really good in Foxcatcher ( and very nice to look at ) . That said most people think the Oscar will follow the Golden Globe and go to JK Simmons - who to me is truly the scariest actor ever to be on television from the old HBO show "Oz". 

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette, “Boyhood”
Laura Dern, “Wild”
Keira Knightley, “The Imitation Game”
Emma Stone, “Birdman”
Meryl Streep, “Into the Woods”

This is Meryl's NINETENTH time being nominated ! Going with the Globes here swell, of the ones I have seen, unless Laura Dern is amazing, which she can be, this is Arquettes award.

No comments: